We work with people aged 16+ with complex mental health problems to move out of hospital or 24-hour care and take up a supported tenancy in the community.
Who we’re here for
Supported housing has no specific exclusion criteria, as each person is individually assessed. However, the referred person:
- Must have a complex and enduring mental health problem.
- Will be expected to display a degree of ability to manage a tenancy and participate in community life.
- Will be given priority if they are currently hospitalized, are in 24-hour care, are homeless, or is at risk of these.
This is not a time-limited service.
The support we offer
We offer a range of shared and individual accommodation, all furnished, decorated, and maintained to a high standard. We encourage our tenants to choose or bring furnishings and decorations to make their flat their own.
We work with our tenants to create a support plan. We identify their needs, aims, and aspirations to see what support is best suited to each person.
Each tenant has a key worker and a co-worker, who support them day-to-day in their recovery to help them increase their independence.
Support can include help with:
- Mental health issues (e.g. managing symptoms, mental health awareness, support at outpatient appointments/clinical reviews).
- Medication (e.g. medication awareness, ordering and daily management).
- Finances (e.g. appointeeship service, payment of utility bills, management of debt/savings, weekly budgeting).
- Household skills.
- Skills for life.
- Health and hygiene.
- Social skills development.
- Supported employment/education.
Each tenant receives an average of 10 hours of support time per week, but more support can be given in times of crisis or greater need.
Our tenants also have access to a 24-hour on-call service, which provides advice and support from a registered mental health nurse, and also for tenant visits or crisis assessment where required.
Rent is charged to the tenant, and is often covered by housing benefit for those who receive benefits. Support costs are generally covered by the local authority’s adult community-based services.
MHC Supported Housing
237 Salters Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Telephone: 0191 285 5047
Fax: 0300 300 0821
MHC Supported Housing
87 Avenue Road
Telephone: 0191 477 0924
Fax: 0300 300 0823