High Contrast

Mental Health Concern

Gateshead Supported Housing

Who is the service for?

We enable people of working age with complex mental health problems to move out of hospital or 24-hour care and take up a supported tenancy in the community. This is a non-time limited service.

We consider the individual needs of each referral we receive. Our tenants:

  • have complex and enduring mental health problems.
  • will be expected to display a degree of ability to manage a tenancy and participate in community life.
  • will be given priority if they are currently hospitalized, are in 24-hour care, are homeless–or are at risk of these.

What we do and how we help

We offer a range of shared and individual accommodation, all furnished, decorated, and maintained to a high standard. Our tenants are encouraged to choose or bring furnishings and decorations to make their flat their own.

We work with our tenants to create a support plan, identifying their needs, aims, and aspirations to see what support is best suited to each individual. Each tenant has a key worker and a co-worker, who support them day-to-day in their recovery to help them gain greater independence.

Support can include help with:

  • mental health issues (e.g. managing symptoms, mental health awareness, support at outpatient appointments/clinical reviews)
  • medication (e.g. medication awareness, ordering and daily management)
  • finances (e.g. appointeeship service, payment of utility bills, management of debt/savings, weekly budgeting)
  • household skills
  • skills for life
  • health and hygiene
  • social skills development
  • supported employment/education
  • move-on

Each tenant receives an average of 10 hours of support time per week, but more support can be given in times of crisis or greater need. Tenants also have access to a 24-hour on-call service, which provides advice and support from a registered mental health nurse and also for tenant visits or crisis assessment where required.

Accommodation rental is charged to the tenant, and is often covered by housing benefit for those in receipt of benefits. Support costs are generally covered by the local authority’s adult community-based services.

How do I refer someone to this service?

Please send an email to referrals.rehab.mhc@nhs.net. Alternatively, please send a standard referral letter to the address below, outlining the reasons for your referral and a summary of the person’s needs and aspirations. We’ll take it from there.

Anna Bolam
Mental Health Concern
237 Salters Road
Newcastle upon Tyne

Concern Group partners

Site delivered by